The past month has not only been a blur, but it has been an adjustment to online learning and forming relationship and bonds with my peers without meeting them in person. Not being able to sit in class and chat with my cohort has been difficult for me because I thrive in my learning when I can be out of my house and in an environment where everyone is there for the same reason. I am a shy person and reaching out to people in an online classroom is harder than in a classroom where connections and conversations are more natural and fluid.

The largest portion of my learning has been about myself and about the Canadian Education System with particular focus on BC’s renewed curriculum. I now realize that I have been culturally insensitive and that the education system cannot be a “one size fits all” system but needs to be a diverse and inclusive network of many people working together. The introduction of the FPPL was nerve racking for me because I have a worry that I won’t be able to be thorough enough or be able to weave the principles authentically into my lessons. Thankfully, I learned that there are resources that are very helpful, such as FNESC, and this makes it so “us” new teachers don’t feel like we are being thrown into the ocean without a lifejacket.

It has been interesting to learn about not only BC and Canadas Indigenous populations but in EDUC 346 and 446 to learn about how First Peoples around the world (with special focus on the Maori) have been handled so terribly by settlers, or rather the similarities in how all First Peoples have had negative interactions with settlers. The connections that I have been able to make between courses has been unexpected and amazing! It completely helps my learning to be able to make these important connections, even if the connections are between First Peoples on opposite sides of the world.

Similar to my peers, I am so excited to have been given the chance to expand my knowledge and gather the tools to become the best teacher I can possibly be. I am also thankful to my AMAZING cohort for the connections made and how we have formed a community that fosters learning, growth, support and so much more!

The Global Teacher @gcouros