Collaboration and Teamwork 

During my final practicum I put a lot of effort into planning activities where students could work together, especially the grade 8s. I used teamwork and collaboration to boost self esteem in the classroom and gain confidence in their learning. By assigning group work I was allowing students to demonstrate knowledge of material while in a smaller group where they could feel comfortable to share. Group dynamics flourish as students take on different roles and find where their strengths can best contribute to group learning. An example of collaboration from my practicum is during the Middle Ages unit I planned a mock trial where students worked together to act out a scene and collaborate as a jury to come up with a punishment that fit the crime that had been committed. This broadened their thinking to incorporate different views and talk about why different points of view are important. 

When I think about collaboration I also consider celebrating diversity among group members both cultural and social differences. I had my social studies 8 students make their own Magna Cartas and by going through this process and comparing it with their peers they were able to reflect upon their lives and values against those of their classmates. This helps students to acknowledge differences without being rude or critical. 

By establishing ground rules on my first day and introducing peer work early on I was successful in incorporating much group work into my short time at College Heights Secondary School. 

The secrets of collaboration. I have to admit that collaboration is… | by  Vicky Gao | Muzli - Design Inspiration