Educators contribute to the profession.

Standard 8 held a struggle for me because how can a novice teacher bring meaningful contribution to the profession when they are still learning so much?

In week 2 of practicum I had the wonderful opportunity to present my E-Portfolio to the Regional Campus of UNBC and this was an amazing opportunity to share my knowledge and contribute to learning that is happening within the Block 1 of teacher candidates. I was so excited to answer questions about the process of learning and unlearning as well as the process of personal and professional identity interaction as you move through the program. This opportunity provided me a moment of growth as well through reflection. I was able to see how far I have come in my thought process and how I can actually contribute the the profession now because I have more knowledge than I did in block 1. By taking part in the process of building an e-portfolio I was gaining technical skills that are needed for the profession and abilities that help within the classroom. Metacognition is part of the BC curriculum and it is something that e portfolios support, having students (myself as a student teacher) reflect on my work and think about my progress in learning. This opportunity to present and demonstrate standard 8 had a lot of layers for me that helped me reflect on my process. It supported the wellbeing of self, I was able to reflect on how the process of reflection has helped me so much during this program and it has allowed me to see visual change in my learning, the progress of me as a teacher is able to be tracked through my e portfolio.

There was an exciting standard 8 moment for me in week 5 when another teacher asked me for a resource I had used earlier on in my Middle Ages unit. I walked her through the source I used for studying and presenting the Bayeux Tapestry and how I had looked through dozens of resources when looking for the perfect one for my students. This made me feel like my hard work sifting through resources for hours had paid off because I could help another teacher.

After going through the 10 week practicum I realized there are so many ways to contribute to the profession even if you don’t realize or you don’t feel like you are making a difference, you are.

True friendship: a helping hand when you're struggling | Exposure