Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

I do not expect to get the job of my dreams on the first day after graduation in December but with my degree in English and Geography, I do hope I find something I can weave my specialties into. During practicum I was able to bring my Geography knowledge to the forefront and this was so exciting because as a teacher candidate I brought a different view to the material that my coaching teacher was teaching before.

Through reflection on this standard I cannot help but wonder and appreciate the range of knowledge and experiences that my fellow cohort members and I bring to the profession. I can only assume that all teacher candidates graduating from this program will have a broad base of knowledge but that base will differ greatly from individual to individual depending upon their areas of special interest and expertise. I believe that I bring to this profession relevant knowledge and varied skills developed not only in school, but as a result of my years of nannying in cultural diverse households, time spent tutoring, travelling to different countries and jobs that taught me valuable work ethic. As far back as I can remember we had information at our finger tips 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and the rate it grows is faster than anyone can teach it, this makes it impossible to teach and learn every single thing.

I believe it is important to not forget all the learning about inquiry based classrooms, projects and the spiral of inquiry. Not only do we need to have a base of knowledge but go with that we need ways to teach that knowledge. This means more questions being asked and less waiting for answers. Start scaffolding and building off what questions students ask so they can arrive at the curricular target themselves.

In order for us to shape the curriculum in a way that fits our classroom we must never stop learning. By coming into the profession of teaching, I made a vow to become a forever learner, which hopefully means for my future that I can have a variety of specialties!